Awhile back, if you been hanging around, I mentioned that this ugly front post was being put on my to-do list. And it's almost done....
But I wanted to re-cap what's gone on so far, and what a tough project this has been.
As you can see the post is built into both the soffit....
Since my dad is soooo handy I enlisted his help again, and after he probably regretted getting himself into it. It was in fact my dad who called this project "a can of worms," and in a minute you'll see why.
Our first plan of attack was to leave the initial wrought iron pillar in place and build a "sleeve" around it to make it look like a solid wood post.
So before putting up any trim, priming and painting it....we stood back to take a look. The consensus? It was too big for our tiny house. It looked fine, and it wasn't going anywhere, but the width of the sides were just too big to look like the pillar was meant to be at our house.
Cooper inspected the wood....
The wood glue couldn't hold because the wood was ever so slightly warped, and I didn't have any clamps to hold them together.
Plan C. Just buy a 6 x 6 post. Done.
Now to the tough part.
First we used a crow bar and removed all of the wood surrounding the top of the post at the soffit. Thankfully that's all that was holding it in place.
And removed the post!
Back to the handy dandy SAWS-ALL and at least now we are dealing with a level surface....
The next step was all about measuring. Ever heard the rule, "measure twice, cut once?" Follow it. Every time.
So because of that pesky corner beam, we had to cut out a chunk of the top of the new post to get it high enough into the eaves and at the same time having a piece of wood to go through with our bolts to secure the wood to the house.
Do not be fooled....the cutting that led up to the picture below took HOURS. My dad is a saint for doing this and was sooo patient throughout the whole process.
Then I was off to prime and paint the post.
In the meantime, I picked up this. An post anchor u-clip. This is how we fastened the post to the concrete. I think on a subliminal level I forgot entirely to photograph any of this step, because I wanted to forget it.
Basically I got the biggest concrete drill bit I could find. My dad and I drilled a hole into the concrete using both batteries on both of our drills and then we still had to get a shorter bolt because we just couldn't get far enough down into the concrete. Once the bolt and clip were in place, we set the post on top of it, and screwed the u-clip right into the post. Long story short-post is secured to clip, clip is secured to concrete. Then we secured the top, using our pre-drilled holes.
Finally we cut the trim pieces (re-purposed from when I added new trim to our kitchen a few years back). Primed and painted. My dad is a wizard with saws....his cuts were perfect. Every time.
And then we arranged them around the bottom and top of the post.
We used clamps to get them in place and then the nail gun to secure them together and to the post.
So here is what I mean in that I am almost done. There still needs to be quite a bit of caulking done around the edges of the trim, which will then be painted.
And if you look up at the top, the soffit needs work.
It looks so much more clean and simple, especially with our new storm door!
So here is a long overdue before and after.....
Goodbye ugly wrought iron post, hello beautiful new wood post, and thank you, thank you, thank you to my dad who spent soooo many hours helping me with this transformation!